It’s not rocket science, but storing and handling pellets and feed does require a bit of thought.
Pellets and other feedstocks can be tricky things to store and dispense easily and consistently. You’d definitely have a hard time if you chucked 21 tonnes of dairy feed pellets into a stock-standard grain silo! [shudders at the thought]
Over many years of supplying and installing feed silos for our customers, we've hit on a winning formula that ticks most of the boxes when it comes to pellet and feed storage:
- Steep 60º cone angle increases the ability of the contents to flow down to the outlet
- 900mm ground clearance for easy access and quick unloading of feed
- Blower pipe with camlock for easy blower truck filling
- Vent to equalise pressure while filling and emptying
- Customisable weather-proof pellet outlet that can connect to your feed system
- Bag chute to the side of the main outlet adds flexibility for hand-emptying
- Regular sight glasses up the side of the silo provides an instant visual indication of the fill level
- Base manhole that allows appropriately trained and equipped personnel to inspect, clean and maintain the silo
Option-up to your heart’s content
Unlike hats, there is no one-size-fits-all silo – as much as it might make our lives a whole lot simpler!
So while we have created one heck of a standard pellet and feed silo, of all our silo ranges pellet and feed silos are some of the most-customised.
We offer a wide range of customisation options to get the silo just right for your specific situation:
- Many of our pellet and feed silos are connected to a feed system, requiring a customised outlet
- We are often asked to extend the frame to allow for a drive-through configuration for trucks or a reverse-in / drive-out configuration for trailers
- It is also very common for blower pipes and vents to be extended for centralised filling and/or venting
- And in some cases we will even customise the shape of the silo itself to fit a constrained site
So if you're not sure whether we have an option to suit your specific needs, please don't hesitate to touch base and ask us what we can do – chances are you're not the first person to ask the same question!